How to be creative in Clouds
13 December - We look at how the cloud can be made to work for the creative industries –where it is to have all assets securely stored, transcode engines available on demand or to serve your customers around the world.
Please Register Promptly.
We will hear briefly from Sam Garforth, (Cloud solutions Consultant Software Group IBM ) who will talk about "Cloud - What does it all mean",
we will then hear on some practical applications of the Cloud by Ben Roeder (CTO Sohonet)
and then Chris Wright (Software Client Architect, Media Sector Software group IBM) will address ,
"Cloud computing and the Media. Where next?"
Then the audience drawn from the IT and media industries will have the opportunity to discuss and answer the 10 questions of Clouds.
1) What actually is 'the cloud' as far as the media is concerned?
2) Why will cloud services be attractive in practical reality and to whom?
3) Are public clouds financially viable as a sustainable business?
4) What are the challenges from the content owner perspective?
5) What are the challenges from the service provide perspective?
6) Is migration to the cloud inevitable?
7) What does the cloud mean to me if I am a) a content owner,
b) a big broadcaster or platform c) a facilities provider and d) a small broadcaster?
8) Is the cloud just more hype in the same way that 3D TV might be?
9) Is the media industry even ready for the cloud yet?
10) Is 'the cloud' just another term for a patch of thick fog where actually,
no-one can see what's happening yet?
These is much confusion on what is a cloud – we aim to blow the mist out of the way and show that clouds can have silver (or even gold) linings for our business .
Come and meet others over a good quantity of Christmas Cheer.
Meetings are at the heart of what SMPTE UK does - enabling those working in our industries to exchange innovative ideas and learn from each other.
You will need to have ID – passport, bank card or Drivers Licence to access IBM Southbank HQ
We thank IBM for making their IBM Forum available and providing the refreshments
IBM is located between the National Theatre and The London Television Centre /TLS
The Preferred Route from Waterloo Station is via the Jubilee line Ticket Hall
From the ticket hall cross Waterloo Road (pedestrian lights) and into Sandal Street opposite (veer left)
-this is one way in the direction you are walking
Partway along is an exit from Waterloo East
at the end turn left into Cornwall Road – under the railway bridge
Walk to the Traffic lights to cross A3200 Stamford Street and then past the car park and then at the end look left along Upper Ground and there is IBM block - register at reception ~ (TLS is to the right)
- All posts: